Tuesday, December 21, 2010

I Don't Know What It's Like To Be Normal

I don't know what it's like to be "normal".

Sometimes I am very professional.
I say "please" and "thank you" and "bless you".
I dress nicely and comb my hair.
The way I act is conservative.

Sometimes I am like a child.
I color outside the lines and draw childish things.
I wear my hair in pigtails.
The way I act is naive, maybe even immature.

Sometimes I am a bully.
I pick on others who cross my path.
I dress in ripped up jeans and a t-shirt.
I wear my hair in a loose ponytail.
The way I act is mean and grumpy.

Sometimes I am peppy and bubbly.
I speak loudly and energetically.
I wear my hair pulled back in a tight ponytail, with some glitter.
The way I act is outgoing and super friendly.

Sometimes I am withdrawn and shy.
I avoid eye contact and keep to myself.
I wear my hair straight and down in my face.
The way I act is depressed.

Sometimes I am angry and frustrated.
I throw things and cause a scene.
I don't comb my hair or wash it.
The way I act is crazy and destructive.

Sometimes I am quiet and reserved.
I do what is expected and I listen.
I wear my hair pulled back into a bun.
The way I act is *perfect*.

Sometimes I am sarcastic and funny.
I have a comment for everything.
I wear my hair curly and fun.
The way I act is entertaining.

People who know me well have seen all sides of me.
People who don't know me have seen one side of me.

I am all of these things and none of these things.
I have Dissociative Identity Disorder.

I don't know what it's like to be "normal",
But I do like being me.

*Bee

2 comments:

  1. I don't have DID but this pertains to bpd as well...

    this was written perfectly. :)

    xoxo
    -Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I LOVE this!!! What an awesome poem! It really captures DID.
    Lothlorien

    ReplyDelete